Breast augmentation in Thailand is the third most-common cosmetic surgery procedure. Also known as a “boob job”, breast augmentation involves enlarging the size of, or changing the shape of the breasts, using implants or fat transfer. Due to the cost of getting such procedures done in their home countries, patients may choose to travel abroad to undergo the augmentation in a quality medical facility in a more affordable country. One such country attracting patients from around the globe is Thailand.
Why Is Breast Augmentation In Thailand Popular For Medical Tourists?
In addition to being a luxury tropical island paradise for holiday-farers, Thailand has become one of the most popular locations in the world for medical tourists seeking breast augmentation surgery. This is due to lower costs of the surgeries in Thailand, but without sacrifice of safety and quality. Compared to many other Western nations, breast augmentation surgery in Thailand is often between 30 – 50% less expensive.
The lower cost of surgeries in Thailand need not come with any sacrifice in safety and quality of the medical treatment received. Indeed, there are many experienced plastic surgeons in Thailand that can perform breast augmentations. Many hospitals and clinics in Thailand have JCI international accreditation, giving patients the assurance that services and care provided are of world-class standards. Clinical staff and doctors that are fluent in English complete the ideal package for medical tourists.
Last but not least, any surgery comes with recovery time. For breast augmentation, typically patients should not fly within 5-7 days after surgery (air travel increases the risk of blood clots, which can be fatal), and it is best to return to work only after 1-2 weeks. For many people, what better place would there be to spend a week holidaying and recovering after surgery than in the tropical paradise that is Thailand?
These factors together has helped make breast augmentation the third most frequently performed type of cosmetic surgery in Thailand.
What You Will Need To Know Before Deciding On Breast Augmentation In Thailand
- Experience of surgeon: Your chosen surgeon needs to have several years of experience in plastic surgery, especially in breast augmentation or breast reduction.
- Certification: Your chosen surgeon must have a valid medical license in Thailand and is board-certified by the Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons of Thailand (ThPRS). Board-certified surgeons have undergone a few years of surgical training and have deep professional experience in their field. The ThPRS certificate endorses the surgeon as a professional with the highest quality professional training. Membership in international plastic surgeon societies (such as the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) is a plus.
- Professionalism: Do you feel comfortable with your doctor? Does he or she listens to your concerns or guide you through this whole process? Your doctor must be professional whilst still guiding you throughout this whole process.
- Patient Reviews: Reading some reviews about your potential surgeon is one of the best ways to find out more about their work ethic or expertise.
- Previous Work: Seeing the results of their previous work (“before-and-after” photos) can help to see whether they are the best doctors to give you the results that you want.
Concerns About Getting Breast Augmentation Done In Thailand
You might be worried about getting breast job abroad because you have heard stories about failed procedures. There are public complaints about the quality of implants received, or patients not receiving the outcomes they were promised.
Choosing less expensive surgery options do come with some risk, especially if you have them performed abroad. It is thus important to make sure that the hospital or clinic you choose has in place contingency plans for problems or poorly executed surgeries. You should make sure that you know:
- If the hospital’s, clinic’s or surgeon’s insurance covers you in case of a failed operation;
- If your travel or medical insurance covers any mishaps from the surgery (normally they would not cover such events)
- How you can get back home in the case of an emergency, and how much it will cost to do so.
Doing your homework research before deciding on a hospital or surgeon is a must. If you use caution and common sense, you can profit from Thailand’s low-cost breast augmentation services.
Some Surgeons For Breast Augmentation In Thailand To Consider
To give you a starting guide for surgeons in Thailand to consider, we have compiled a short list for your convenience:
- Dr Arnik Usanakornkul (Specialised Surgeon and CEO, Fetis Clinic)
- Dr Boonchai Taweerattanasil (Surgeon, Bonnie Clinic)
- Dr Piya Rungruxsiri (Consultant, Nida Esth’ International Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Centre)
- Dr Songyos Chantajit (Surgeon, Founder of Dream Clinic)
- Dr. Tawisak Labchitkuson (Surgeon, Beauty Centre, Phyathai 2 International Hospital)
- Dr Thananchai Assadamongkol (Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon & Director, Bangmod Aesthetic Centre)
This article is informative only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice.